Friday, December 21, 2012

"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware" - Martin Buber

If you ask an Indian student pursuing a degree in Science and Technology about his dream job, an obvious answer would be the Software and IT industry, no matter which field he is in. 

Since the Y2K era, there has been a boom in this sector, especially in India, and a lot of well paying jobs have been created. For most Indian students, who come from middle-class income families,  getting a job in this sector is considered to be life changing. Same was my case. 

After getting a degree in Computer Science, I joined an IT firm. Initially I loved the job and the pay, but after a while I got bored of the monotonous work. I needed some challenge in my work. So I decided to pursue Masters in a research oriented course, from a country abroad. But I was unaware that apart from this, something big  and wonderful was awaiting me. 

My journey started a year ago with the goal of pursing a Masters degree. I was enrolled in an International masters program in a European country. One of the main highlights of an International program is that you get to meet people from different countries. This provides an opportunity to understand each other's traditions, culture and religion. People here ask me various things about religion, yoga, etc. This was the time when I realized that my knowledge about Indian culture and my religion was minuscule. I dont like to speculate or mislead people. So, I decided that whenever someone asks me about something, I will conduct a research of my own on the internet and put forth my understandings before them. But every article that I read, made me excited and more inquisitive to explore it even further.  Thus I set out to discover more about my culture and religion. This was one of the secret destinations that was awaiting me.

I thought that it would be nice to share my knowledge with those who also want to know more about Indian culture and religions; so I started this blog. But let me honestly mention that I am not a professional blogger. In fact, this is the first blog that I am posting. So kindly bear with my style of writing and if possible, try to help me with some constructive comments and suggestionsI hope to spend at least an hour a day to do some research and try to come up with at least one informative post per week. 

Thanks for reading this post and welcome to my pilgrimage of discovering Hinduism.



Please note: In this blog, I will share my views/(internet based)research on Hinduism, Indian religions and culture, and some related topics. I expect you, not to compare religions or make derogatory comments about any religion. All religions are just different paths to the same God, and hence equal.


No comments:

Post a Comment